Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Today is the day for you to watch 'Night Before the Wedding.'

It has been 3 months since I have been able to make it back to this page. The subject of my previous post, 'efficiency,' is certainly still on my mind. I cannot say that I have it figured out yet. In the 3 months that have now passed, I have found myself with increasing responsibilities. And over the past month, I have begun to free up my schedule as best as I can so that I can be more productive.

It certainly helps that we are down to just two more Film Courage Interactives to close out the year. Our next one is this Monday and our last one this year will be on November 29th.

I am back here writing today for three reasons.

Number 1, our film Night Before the Wedding is officially now available on DVD, and it is also available for Online Rentals through a new platform entitled Dynamo Player.


(This is my last video blog while driving, hope you enjoy)

Number 2, we are hosting a LIVE ONLINE Q&A and DISCUSSION this Friday October 22nd at 7pm PST for those who have already seen the film and who would like to interact with us. It is our way of giving back to those who are supporting what we do. This is something we are really looking forward to doing and we hope a few folks show up to have some fun with us. I will be joined by Karen Worden, Gregor Collins, John Keating, James Anthony McQuillan and other members of the cast and crew. We will be using a LIVE video stream and you will be able to write in questions that we will answer. It's an experiment on our part, and if we can get some folks to show up it will be worth it. To join us, just visit www.nightbeforethewedding.com a little before 7pm PST this Friday!

Number 3, I wanted to give something back to you. I want to give you something more than coming here to read my promotion.

I have been quiet recently. I have spent more time listening and learning. It really is staggering how much information is available to us on a daily basis.

Knowing that, I am not sure if this has been said elsewhere, but I will say it very clearly here. We have reached the time for the majority of films to be utilize the 'DAY AND DATE' distribution strategy. From this point forward, I believe you are acting foolishly if you are not ready to fully deliver your film the same date that it premieres theatrically.

This is especially true if you are a micro-budget film. Currently with 'Night Before the Wedding' we can see now that we have lost a lot of momentum over the past year. Despite playing in a handful of Film Festivals and close to a dozen cities all together we find ourselves looking to build up interest again as we release our film into the home marekt. This is certainly not an easy proposition. It is getting trickier and harder to get people's attention. I highly recommend you view this Woodstock Film Festival panel discussion on distribution which features Ted Hope, John Sloss & Ed Burns.


(One of the best panels I have seen in a long time)

Distribution Panel, Woodstock Film Festival 2010 from BEA Submitter on Vimeo.

I find it very telling that Ed Burns latest film Nice Guy Johnny was made for $25,000 and that he has decided to 'Day and Date' the film. I believe it tells you all you need to know about the current marketplace if someone of Mr. Burns stature is making a film at this budget level, that he is bypassing a theatrical run, and he is looking to monetize it on as many platforms all at once.

Bottom line, you and I are not Ed Burns. (unless Ed, himself comes across this blog.) You can say whatever you want to say about Ed's films. Yes I am aware that he released his previous film directly on iTunes.

In my case, I will not release my second film, Goodbye Promise until it is ready for a 'Day and Date' release. Over the past year it has gotten tougher for the standard window release. My advice to those following in my path is to not just finish your film, but you now have to go beyond that and deliver your film to all platforms on your premiere date.

As we move into 2011, what was once considered experimentation will become the standard.

1 comment:

JBMovies said...

The "Day and Date" issue is just another angle of the same problem. There is too much commotion, most of it being complete garbage, that it is hard for any potential audience member out there to even hear about your film. They are constantly bombarded on a minute-by-minute basis by so many messages. How do you get enough people to know about your project to gain momentum? How long after gaining momentum do you hold back before releasing on all platforms?

I personally have a reluctancy towards "Day and Date". Not a complete rejection of the notion, but a sense of caution. I see both the merits for it, but the flaws. It's the same as Sheri Candler pointing out about the benefits of piracy to gain public attention for your film. I see both the potential, but at what cost?

Here's my issue. This I learned from my own experience. If people don't know, and I mean a large amount of people don't know about your film before it is finished... then you are fighting an uphill battle. With the ever growing increase in CRAP (constantly repeated accelerated promotions), this uphill battle becomes an almost supernatural feat.

The problem is that if we apply the concept of Supply & Demand to the film business we are in the middle of the most backwards business in the world. We make films like people used to hunt for gold. We hope to hit it big, but no logical plan on how to do it.

Applying the concept of supply & demand to a film it forces us to have to do an honest look at our film and ask "is there REALLY any demand for this specific film?" If not... create the demand prior to making the product.